Studies have show that as Gun Safes become more affordable, they’re becoming as easily penetrable. Here are five essential features that you’ll want to consider prior to purchasing a gun safe: combination locks, metal thickness, good burglar/fire ratings, sturdy anchors and a specialized interior.
Burglary Gun Safe Ratings
Burglar safes are usually made of solid steel plate or a combination of solid steel and composite fill material such as concrete or any other very solid, hard metal. All Department of Justice Regulatory Gun Safe Standards regulatory standards require a gun safe to meet the following standards including:
1) Shall be able to fully contain firearms and provide for their secure storage.
2) Shall have a locking system consisting of at minimum a mechanical or electronic combination lock. The mechanical and/or electrical combination used by the safe will usually have about 10,000 different possible combination consisting of a minimum three numbers, letters, or symbols. The lock also needs to be protected by a case-hardened (60+) drill-resistant steel plate, or drill-resistant material.
3) The bolt-work needs to consist of at least three steel locking bolts of at least ½ inch thickness that intrude from the door of the safe into the body of the safe or from the body of the safe into the door.
4) Simply put the lock needs to be available for repeated use. The exterior walls need to me made of at least 12-gauge thick steel for a single-walled safe. The doors need to be at least minimum of two layers of 12-gauge steel, or one layer of 7-gauge steel compound.
5) The door hinges need to be protected to prevent the removal of the door. Some protective features include: hinges not exposed to the outside, interlocking door designs, dead bars, jeweler’s lugs and active or inactive locking bolts.
The Gunvault GV2000C – STD Multi Safe is a considered to be rock solid construction, the outside is constructed from 16-gauge steel and the high-Strength lock mechanism performs reliably. The foolproof security features include precise fittings are virtually impossible to pry open with hand tools. The Gunvault GV2000C – STD Multi Safe also includes a built-in computer which blocks access after repeated invalid keypad entries and a tampering indicator alerts you to invalid entry attempts. The Advanced Access features also includes a Conveniently located keypad is easy to use and a unique No-Eyes Keypad allows for quick access. Other Advanced Access features also include audio feedback confirming each correct data keypad entry and an audio disable option adds the security of operating in silent mode.
Anchoring a gun safe is a necessity after you’ve made your final gun safe purchase. The gun safe must always be properly bolted down so there’s no way anyone can wrangle that safe easily out of your house, never underestimate the resourcefulness of a highly determined burglar. Concrete provides the most secure gun safe anchor and should be the preferred anchor for mounting a your safe. When mounting a gun safe in concrete always remember to mount using 1/2” concrete bolts or larger, and use more than one bolt, four bolts for mounting is ideal for mounting a gun safe. Always remember when anchoring a gun safe to a wooden floor, you should always anchor one or more bolts into a foundation support beam.
Some gun safes even allow you to create personalized or specialized interior within the gun safe. Some of those specialized interiors include additional built-in gun racks, interior lighting can also be useful and mirrors in the rear wall, which helps brighten up the place. The Gunvault Nano 100 Handgun Safe is a compact, secure and affordable handgun storage safe solution and is perfect for home, travel or concealed-weapon permit holders. The Gunvault Nano 100 Handgun Safe also features an easy-to-operate key lock system and is made of an 18-gauge steel construction and 1/2-inch per side thick memory foam interior. The Gunvault Nano 100 Handgun Safe meets all TSA airline firearm guidelines and fits discreetly in a bag, briefcase, desk or under a carseat.